Who wants to be on Lake Michigan's crowded shoreline during the Chicago Air and Water Show? Certainly not YOU! And now you can watch it out on the water. For the second year, our Lakefront location at Monroe Harbor will have guided paddles during the show! This 90-minute excursion will take paddlers on a three-mile loop around Monroe Harbor while viewing the planes flying overhead. With the Chicago skyline as a backdrop, get a unique view of all the amazing aircraft that make it one of the best aerial displays in the country. (Disclaimer: The Chicago Air and Water show is centered around North Avenue Beach. You will not be paddling directly underneath, and Urban Kayaks cannot guarantee direct views of every plane in the show.)
More Details and our FAQ Page
- Arrival Time: Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled tour time to check in and store items you don't want to bring on the water in one of our lockers.
- Approximate Time: 90 minutes on the water
- Launch Site: This tour starts and ends at our Monroe Harbor location
- How to Dress: Bring only what you need. Plan on getting wet.
"Choose Urban Kayaks and have fun! As a long time Chicagoan I can attest to how unbeatable the views are of the city from this experience."
"This is an experience that should not be missed. It was an amazing way to see the city."
"The views are insanely beautiful and romantic. You see the buildings from a new perspective and get the history behind them. I loved hearing the stories and seeing it all. A great experience."
Fequently Asked Questions and our Faq Page
- What should I wear?
- Beach clothing is ideal. A bathing suit, sandals, hat, and sunglasses work well. Don't forget sunscreen.
- Do you provide lockers/ storage to keep valuables safe and dry?
- Yes. Locker rentals are available on site for a minimal fee. Free open air cubbies are also available. Additionally, Built into every kayak is a storage hatch where you are able to store some belongings. Please keep in mind this storage hatch is not 100% waterproof. Additionally, we have customer changing rooms on site for your convenience.
- How much weight can the kayaks hold?
- A single kayak holds one person and has a weight capacity of up to 300 lbs. A tandem kayak can hold one or two people and has a weight capacity of up to 550 lbs.
- Should I bring my camera/ phone?
- Well, this is a tricky one. On one hand you will get a unique "ducks eye" view of the city while paddling, however you will also get wet. Keeping your camera in a waterproof bag while paddling works well. Bring everything at your own risk.