Urban Kayak’s youth “Kayak Class” is a learn-to-paddle kayak and paddle board program for kids and teens ages 9-16 designed to help children get comfortable on the water. Children will have the opportunity to learn about kayaking and paddleboarding in the safe, calm waters of our Lakefront location at Monroe Harbor, all while enjoying new activities and favorite lessons! Our mission at Urban Kayaks is to provide a customized class for middle schoolers that teaches kayaking fundamentals in a fun and safe learning environment. We aspire to inspire confidence and capability in young people through experiences for friends and families to recreate together.
The Urban Kayaks youth kayaking and paddleboarding class has been a staple of the Chicago lakefront for 5 years. Our class is uniquely designed and led by Chicago educators with 20+ combined years of experience in education. All instructors are CPR & First Aid certified with AED training and an on-site AED. Each week is tailored to reflect student interests and take advantage of the best our wonderful city has to offer. In addition to kayaking and paddle boarding instruction, we offer a diverse selection of activities that give students the chance to learn something new, have fun, challenge themselves, and build life-long friendships. Some favorite class activities include kickball, volleyball, capture the flag, bracelet making, puff paint decorating, water balloon fights, tie dye parties, millennium park adventures and free swim in our protected harbor.
Over the course of the week, your child will receive personalized attention from our experienced instructors. Your child’s confidence and ability will grow as they learn and embrace new challenges! Each week, students get the chance to put their new skills into practice when they tour the famous Chicago River. At the end of the week, students will also have the opportunity to participate in a student kayak race to and from the Adler Planetarium.
“Urban Kayak is a fabulous summer camp option for kids. Safety is the top priority. The kids are outside all day learning new skills on the kayaks and paddle boards. My daughter went every summer and loved it so much that now she works there!”
- Lisa B., member, summer class mom 2019-2021
“We loved our Urban Kayaks summer class. Our son could not wait to get up and go in the morning! It was a super fun wholesome experience. The best part was our son was able to meet some new kids while gaining skills as a kayaker and having fun on the lakefront.”
- Dawn L., summer class mom 2020-2022
“The camp was one of the highlights of my summer last year, I had a great time both on the water and land. I absolutely would recommend it.”
- Alex Z., summer class student 2020-2022
Several of our students have enjoyed their time at summer class so much that they have gone on to become employees at Urban Kayaks and now contribute to the vibrant and enthusiastic culture we have built. We hope you can join us this summer to adventure with us. Now… let’s go kayaking!
SUMMER SCHEDULE & PRICING
- A: June 13-17 = $600
- B: June 20-24 = $600
- C: June 27-1 = $600
- D: July 4-8 = $600
- E: July 11-15 = $600
- F: July 18-22 = $600
- A: July 25-29 = $600
- B: Aug 1-5 = $600
- C: Aug 8-12 = $600
- D: Aug 15-19 = $600
- E: Aug 22-26 = $600
- Explorers (Ages 10-12)
- M-F 9am-3:30 pm
- Explorers will have the opportunity to learn about kayaking and paddle boarding in the safe, calm waters of Monroe Harbor, all while enjoying new activities and camp favorites! On water group activities will give campers the chance to challenge themselves and make lasting friendships. Activities include: Kayak and paddle boarding lessons every day, swimming, sports and games, arts and crafts, outdoor education, and more! Groups are kept small to ensure individualized attention. All children must know how to swim.
- Adventurers (Ages 13-16)
- M-F 9am-3:30 pm
- Adventurers will have the opportunity to learn about leadership and teamwork while embarking on longer kayak and paddle board trips. Campers will learn safety and rescue techniques and hone their paddling skills. Activities include: Kayak and paddle board lessons every day, swimming, sports and games, arts and crafts, outdoor education, and more! Groups are kept small to ensure individualized attention. All children must know how to swim.
Class Hours: Mon-Fri 9 a.m – 3:30 p.m.
Launch Site: Class will be held at our Lakefront location at Monroe Harbor.
How to Dress: Wear a swimsuit and bring a change of clothes and towel. Athletic waterproof sandals and a hat are also a good idea.
Lunch: All children need to bring their own non-perishable lunches, drinks, and snacks.
Swimming: Certified instructors will assure that each student enters the water at an appropriate pace and skill level, however all campers must be able to swim on their own.
Health & Safety: Upon registration, you will be asked to complete a medical form for your child. Please be certain it contains all the information needed to properly care for your child. Feel free to contact the Urban Kayaks Office prior to registration to discuss any health concerns.
- All staff will wear face masks
- Extra handwashing stations available for staff and campers
- Registration: Once the registration form below is completed, a staff member will be in contact to request a non-refundable deposit of 25% per child with each registration.
- In the event that we have to cancel class due to COVID-19, we will issue a full refund.
- Urban Kayaks / 435 E. Chicago Riverwalk / Chicago, IL 60601
- 312.965.0035 / [email protected]
Sammy GageDirector of Kayak Class
Aaron GershenzonOwner at Urban Kayaks
Owner of Urban Kayaks, Aaron is an American Canoe Association (ACA) certified instructor and has spent the last 15 summers paddling the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. During the winter months, Aaron and brother Asher can be found on the slopes of Colorado teaching children’s ski school and coaching in children’s basketball leagues. When Aaron is not kayaking he is playing fetch with his Chocolate Lab Joni.
Asher GershenzonOwner at Urban Kayaks
Owner at Urban Kayaks, Asher is an American Canoe Association (ACA) certified instructor and is one of the most experienced and qualified instructors and guides on the Chicago River. Asher has spent many winters and summers coaching children’s skiing and athletics. In his off time, you can find Asher caring for Oliver, his prized Cavapoo.