Urban Kayaks “Kayak Class” is a learn-to-paddle kayak and paddle board program for kids ages 10 – 16 designed to help children get comfortable on the water. Children will have the opportunity to learn about kayaking and paddleboarding in the safe, calm waters of Monroe Harbor, all while enjoying new activities and favorite lessons! On water group activities will give students the chance to challenge themselves and make lasting friendships. Activities include: Kayak and paddle board lessons every day, swimming, sports and games, arts and crafts, outdoor education, and more! Your child will receive personalized attention from our experienced instructors with a 1:5 instructor to student ratio. All students must know how to swim.
SUMMER SCHEDULE & PRICING
- A: June 14-18 = $600
- B: June 21-25 = $600
- C: June 28-2 = $600
- D: July 5-9 = $600
- E: July 12-16 = $600
- F: July 19-23 = $600
- A: July 26-30 = $600
- B: Aug 2-6 = $600
- C: Aug 9-13 = $600
- D: Aug 16-20 = $600
- E: Aug 23-27 = $600
- F: Aug 30-3 = $600
- Explorers (Ages 10-12)
- M-F 9am-3:30 pm
- Explorers will have the opportunity to learn about kayaking and paddle boarding in the safe, calm waters of Monroe Harbor, all while enjoying new activities and camp favorites! On water group activities will give campers the chance to challenge themselves and make lasting friendships. Activities include: Kayak and paddle boarding lessons every day, swimming, sports and games, arts and crafts, outdoor education, and more! Groups are kept small to ensure individualized attention. All children must know how to swim.
- Adventurers (Ages 13-16)
- M-F 9am-3:30 pm
- Adventurers will have the opportunity to learn about leadership and teamwork while embarking on longer kayak and paddle board trips. Campers will learn safety and rescue techniques and hone their paddling skills. Activities include: Kayak and paddle board lessons every day, swimming, sports and games, arts and crafts, outdoor education, and more! Groups are kept small to ensure individualized attention. All children must know how to swim.
Class Hours: Mon-Fri 9 a.m – 3:30 p.m.
Launch Site: Class will be held at our Monroe Harbor location
How to Dress: Wear a swimsuit and bring a change of clothes and towel. Athletic waterproof sandals and a hat are also a good idea.
Lunch: All children need to bring their own non-perishable lunches, drinks, and snacks.
Swimming: Certified instructors will assure that each student enters the water at an appropriate pace and skill level, however all campers must be able to swim on their own.
Health & Safety: Upon registration, you will be asked to complete a medical form for your child. Please be certain it contains all the information needed to properly care for your child. Feel free to contact the Urban Kayaks Office prior to registration to discuss any health concerns.
- All staff will wear face masks
- Extra handwashing stations available for staff and campers
- Registration: Once the registration form below is completed, a staff member will be in contact to request a non-refundable deposit of 25% per child with each registration.
- In the event that we have to cancel class due to COVID-19, we will issue a full refund.
- Urban Kayaks / 435 E. Chicago Riverwalk / Chicago, IL 60601
- 312.965.0035 / [email protected]
Owner of Urban Kayaks, Aaron is an American Canoe Association (ACA) certified instructorand has spent the last 12 summers paddling the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. During the winter months, Aaron and brother Asher can be found on the slopes of Colorado teaching children’s ski school and coaching in children’s basketball leagues. When Aaron is not kayaking he is playing fetch with his Chocolate Lab Joni.
Owner at Urban Kayaks, Asher is an American Canoe Association (ACA) certified instructor and is one of the most experienced and qualified instructors and guides on the Chicago River. Asher has spent many winters and summers coaching children’s skiing and athletics. In his off time, you can find Asher caring for Oliver, his prized Cavapoo.